Fair Use Copyright Law
What this tool can do for you:
- Help you better understand how to determine the "fairness" of a use under the U.S. Copyright Code.
- Collect, organize & archive the information you might need to support a fair use evaluation.
- Provide you with a time-stamped, PDF document for your records [example], which could prove valuable, should you ever be asked by a copyright holder to provide your fair use evaluation and the data you used to support it. [why is this important?]
- Provide access to educational materials, external copyright resources, and contact information for copyright help at local & national levels.
What this tool cannot do for you:
- This tool does not provide legal advice. It records the information you provide it as well as your own judgment on the fairness of the use. See the tool [disclaimer] for more information.
- Only a court of law can definitively rule on whether a use is fair or unfair. This tool does not assume or predict a court outcome.